There were approximately 6000 individuals who were trained as glider pilots during WWII for one-way missions into enemy territory. Sylvan Ralph Lucier was one of these brave men, and was killed in the line of duty during a training accident. This website collects his family's research on his life and death.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Three Brothers Write After Sylvan's Death

November 9, 1944 Darling Mother, To nite my heart is crying, and my eyes are red with tears. To nite I got your letter-”May his soul, and all the souls faithfully departed through the mercy of God, Rest in Peace”__ Mom, it is hard to believe, but now we are fighting to try and preserve, what took us so long to build up. I have seen and been with them, when they were called upon! Have helped them, cared for them on the field of battle, now it is so much more real ___ Mother, this Sunday, I am going to have a mass said for my brother, and my Communion will be offered up for the repose of his soul. I feel to nite, as if Sylvan were here, looking over my shoulder, trying to tell me some thing.__ Maybe you know it already, but I have been on the rotation list for several weeks, and now I'll be home. My time in the company and also my evacuation put me on top so I will be home. Sylvan wrote me a nice long letter dated October 10. He told me about his last experience, so I wrote him right back. But he will never get it! (This would have been his role in the Liberation of Holland, September 18.) Mother and Dad, I know that God had a place for your son. He was always faithful, and never doubtful! He loved his religion, and in a way, he offered his life for it. I have seen Catholic men dying in the field, with a priest over them, and they all “went”, with a prayer on their lips, the same as my brother went.__ My prayers will be offered up for you and Dad, to ask God to shower His blessings down upon all of you. Yes, I'm crying, because I am so helpless. But Mom dear, I'll be O.K. I am going home soon, and I know I'll be able to help your broken heart. Your loving Son, Dolly (Delphis)

Delphis Wayne Lucier
Staff Sargeant, served in the Southwest Pacific for three years. He was in Guadalcanal & Bougainville with the 164 North Dakota Infantry, Hq. Co. He received the Combat Infantryman Badge for Combat duty as a radioman on Bougainville and with intelligence on Guadalcanal. He also received the Presidential Unit Citation, Good Conduct, American Defense, and Asiatic-Pacific Ribbons.

Wednesday Nov. 1st
Dear Mom & Dad; I had just came into camp from the Bivouac Area when I called Mary and she told me about Sylvan. It is the hardest thing to believe or should I say to realize that I have ever heard. To think that Sylvan is gone and that we will never see or hear him again. Our thoughts and sympathies are with you and we hope and pray that God will give you the strength to bear our loss. Please write us the details as soon as you hear. We are all well here – I have one more week in the field. I have to go back out again to nite and this news is pretty hard to take back with me. We are enclosing an offering for a Mass for Sylvan. I will close for now as there is not much more I can say. So Long for now Bernard, Mary & Bunny
1st Lt. Bernard Frances Lucier, Medical Corp-USA, Abilene Texas.

Dearest Mom and Dad The news came as such a shock to me so I know how you and Dad must grieve the loss of such a good Son. We can be thankful that we know he was right with his God and his soul is in heaven. I do hope that God will give to you help to bear up under this terrible strain and remember he died for God and Country and all the things that go to make up our way of living. If I were only home to be with you and help. I can't say more as words are meaningless. Please Mom, carry on in your wonderful way and I know everything will work out. Take care of Dad All my love to the greatest Mother and Father as man ever had. Lan (Lawrence) Lucier
Lawrence Joseph Lucier,
1st Sqt. Medical Corp in the Pacific, New Guinea, Australia, Leyte, Tokyo.

Thomas Edward Lucier
Pvt. 1st Class, 3rd Infantry division in Germany, 1944 – 1946. He was a journalist for Frontline- the 3rd Division Newspaper. The younger brother, born in 1926, Tom was in High School when Sylvan died in 1944. He enlisted before turning 18. Tom lives with wife Anne in Norristown, Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment