There were approximately 6000 individuals who were trained as glider pilots during WWII for one-way missions into enemy territory. Sylvan Ralph Lucier was one of these brave men, and was killed in the line of duty during a training accident. This website collects his family's research on his life and death.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

The Telegram From Washington


Flight Officer, Sylvan Lucier was in the middle of a large family. He enlisted in January 1942. Three brothers were already in the service. Eva and Del had a lot to worry about during the war years. The mail delivery must have been an important part of each day. One piece of mail that was dreaded was the telegram. And one day it came.

Eva Lucier, my grandmother, kept the numerous cards her son Sylvan sent her, as well as information about his pilot and glider training in the states. Among her most cherished letters were those from her sons in the service, sent when their brother in arms, Sylvan, died. The letters sent from "Dolly", Bernard, and "Lanny" are respectfully transcribed here in my hope that they will lend understanding to my generation who grew up with the residual effects of war, benefited by the sacrifices of our elders.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:39 PM

    My GreatGrandmother was Marguerite Josephine Lucier Deibert, Sylvan's sister. He is the reason her son/my grandfather became a fighter pilot for the navy.

    Maizie Marguerite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Maizi,
    It is wonderful you are named for my beloved Aunt Marguerite. My mother always called her sister Maguerite her best friend. I have a sister we call "Peggy" who is named Marguerite. As a teenager I used to visit my Aunt Marguerite and look at the pictures on the wall of of her sons in service.
    Maybe you know there were women aviators in WW 2 who transported every sort of plane from the factory to training bases. I'm reading a book written by one of them. In September we attend the glider pilot reunion and we will be able to fly in a C-47, the plane that towed gliders, took wounded to hospital and took paratroopers to their drop zone. I love the sound of the rotating propellers!
    Cousin Twice Removed, Anne Hilber Nephew

    ReplyDelete